I sometimes wonder why I bother with a Twitter account. I don’t tweet much; rarely learn anything interesting from it, and use up hours of my time that could undoubtedly be spent doing something much more productive. And then I find something like this.
I’m sitting at my computer, wondering what The Guardian has to say for itself and reading inane tweets from the Brighton Argus, and a steady stream of tweet updates start coming through from @plasmatron... aka Stuart Braithwaite from Mogwai.
The first one read:
"Sponsored by mars bar ice cream here is my top 10 albums the of the decade of records that probably won't be on anyone else's lists"
My senses were alerted, I began noting them down thinking they’d fit perfectly in the Five of the Best series. And since it is Stuart, why not let him have the ten? I’m not sure what the law is about regurgitating people’s tweets, so if I’m in the wrong, somebody let me know!
Ten of the Best: Stuart Braithwaite’s (unedited) Top Ten Albums of the 2000s
10. Desormais - iambroken and remade iambroken (total glitch masterpiece)
9. Alan Sparhawk - solo guitar (Alan from Low's make instrumental album of the decade)
8. Super Furry Animals - mwng (only welsh language album by SFA, their best record)
7. Bill Callahan - Sometimes I Wish I Were An Eagle
6. Lightning Bolt - Ride the Skies
5. Afrirampo - A (amazing band featuring 2 girls from Osaka)
4. Growing - The Sky Runs into the Sea (one of my favourite bands goings debut)
3. Arab Strap - monday at the hug and pint
2. Jack Rose - Red Horse White Mule (mind blowing guitar player)
1. Malcolm Middleton - 5:14 Fluoxytine Seagull Alcohol John Nicotine (low on laughs but a truly amazing record. for a ginger)
Mogwai - New Paths To Helicon Part One