Thursday 4 March 2010

Foals - Spanish Sahara


The sycophantic, hyperbolic ways of the NME have had a lasting and partially negative effect on my listening habits. Their bandwagonesque backing of Silent Alarm in 2005 put me off Bloc Party. I didn't even give them a chance until the hype had died down. Subsequently, I fell in love with the album. I'm sure there are more good bands the slimy touch of the NME have tarnished for me forever. I may never know.

Fortunately, I bit the bullet with Foals. As with Silent Alarm, it took me a while for me to get around to Antidotes, but upon arriving, I was rewarded with an excellent album (although not quite as good as Bloc Party's debut). So, even the NME's championing of the video for their comeback single Spanish Sahara wasn't enough to deter me.

It's a slower burner than much of Antidotes... reflective, pensive, patient. Not words at all associated with Foals previously. But it's rich in texture, exquisitely constructed and an absolute grower. Eventually it works up a head of steam, culminating in a triumphant crescendo. Again, using Bloc Party as a reference point, it reminds me of the change they underwent on A Weekend In The City, which also turned out to be a grower.

The video is beautifully shot too. I don't remember Yannis Phillipakkis' beard looking so full... perhaps representative of a new, more mature sound? Probably not... but enjoy this video.


No comments: